Householders warned after March chimney fire
RESIDENTS have been warned to unblock their chimneys after a fire broke out at a house in March.
Firefighters from Chatteris, Wisbech and Whittlesey were called to the fire in Whittlesey Road at 12.45pm on yesterday (Tuesday, October 30), which had started from a chimney.
They used hose reels to extinguish the blaze and returned to their stations by 3pm, confirming that the cause was accidental.
However a spokesman for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue warned: “As the weather gets colder, more and more people will be using their open fires for heating.
“What they need to realise is that over the summer months their chimney are likely to have become blocked by birds nesting and general debris falling into the chimney.
You may also want to watch:
“For this reason it is imperative that householders with working chimneys get them swept before they start using them.”
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 3 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 4 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 5 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 6 Man found dead in March
- 7 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 8 Farm donates pumpkins and money to hospitals ‘close to our hearts’
- 9 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 10 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages