Hundreds turn out to cheer Chatteris Christmas lights as they are officially switched on
- Credit: Archant
Festive spirit was alive and kicking in Chatteris when hundreds turned out for the annual countdown to the town’s official lights switch on ceremony.
Traders selling Christmas goodies, fairground rides and games were among the entertainment on offer as families milled around town soaking up the atmosphere.
One visitor said on Facebook: “It was my first visit to see the Chatteris Christmas light switch on and I was amazed by how good it was.
“The lights are fabulous and the sense of community spirit was wonderful. Well done to everyone who made the event a success.”
Established in 1985, Chatteris Christmas lights are visited from people from miles around and can be seen daily from 3pm until midnight.
You may also want to watch:
The town’s trees are selected from the Elveden Estate each year to feature in the churchyard and Market Hill Gardens.
Volunteer teams work to help prepare the town for the big event. If you would like to help then contact them via their Facebook page.
- 1 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 2 Jonathan Van Tam’s mum gets Covid-19 vaccination at Cambs clinic
- 3 Former Top Gear star Rory Reid spotted filming with Lamborghini
- 4 Emergency services – including two air ambulances – rush to A10 crash
- 5 Pedestrian dies crossing busy Cambridgeshire road
- 6 Care home 'requires improvement' after unannounced visit
- 7 Man sentenced for carrying knife after 'someone threatened'
- 8 'Not a sprint, a marathon' cautions NHS staff in the Fens
- 9 Biggest village in Cambridgeshire to get even bigger
- 10 Transgender rapist - with anatomy of a man- jailed for 15 years