Huntingdon house fire prompts Fire Service plea

HOMEOWNERS have been urged to check their sockets and appliances during Electrical Fire Safety Week after an overloaded plug socket caused a house fire in Huntingdon.

Huntingdon fire station crews attended the bedroom blaze of a house in Mayfield Crescent on September 20 after a neighbour saw smoke and dialled 999.

The bedroom was severely smoke damaged but the occupant of the house was out at the time.

Eddie Theaker, watch commander at Huntingdon fire station said the best practice was one appliance, one socket.

The plea for families and homeowners to check their own plugs, sockets and appliances comes from Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service (CFRS) as part of Electrical Fire Safety Week (September 24-30).


You may also want to watch:


Research by the Electrical Safety Council showed that every year about 350,000 people are seriously injured and 70 people die because of a lack of fire safety knowledge.

Andy Tucker, risk manager for CFRS, said: “Half of all accidental fires start from faulty or misused electrical equipment so it is essential to be sure that your electrics are in good working order and are used properly.”

Most Read

In particular, people have been urged to check for worn or frayed wires and to ensure that sockets are kept clean and appliances are unplugged when not in use.

Firefighters from Stanground White Watch will be at the Asda store in Rivergate, Peterborough to talk about fire safety on Thursday, September 27.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter