Husband incensed by salad for supper
ANGRY that his wife had offered him only salad to eat on a scorching hot day, Stephen Barritt systematically emptied the fridge and threw the contents out of the back door. Barritt then hit his wife Joy in the face with a calendar, and when he grabbed her
ANGRY that his wife had offered him only salad to eat on a scorching hot day, Stephen Barritt systematically emptied the fridge and threw the contents out of the back door.
Barritt then hit his wife Joy in the face with a calendar, and when he grabbed her arm she was so frightened that she ran out of the house and hid in bush.
But on Tuesday, Barritt's wife of 24 years supported him at Fenland Magistrates' Court, telling magistrates he had behaved out of character, was on medication and under the psychiatrist.
"I forgive him for everything he has done," she said. "I feel very sad that things got this far. It was a one-off incident."
You may also want to watch:
Barritt, 48, of Eastwood End, Wimblington, admitted assaulting his wife on July 25.
Prosecuting, David Myles said Mrs Barritt had taken her mother home on the day of the offence, and when she returned, her husband inquired what meal she had planned.
- 1 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 4 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 5 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 6 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 7 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 8 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 9 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 10 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
"She was not intending to cook an evening meal because of the heat," explained Mr Myles. "She offered him salad, but he was incensed by that, and started to throw the contents of the fridge into the garden."
Barritt grabbed a calendar away from his wife and hit her with it, leaving her hurt and shocked. While Mrs Barritt was calling the police, Barritt grabbed her arm and twisted it.
He told police he had drunk four cans of lager.
Representing himself, Barritttold the court: "I regret what I did."
He was given a two-year conditional discharge with £55 costs.