I am encouraged by Prime Minister’s immigration comments - so let’s have an open debate
I WAS encouraged by the Prime Minister’s comments on immigration. It is self-evident in our town of the impact of national policy on the everyday lives and experiences of folk.
There can be few of us not affected by the employment, housing, education and welfare experiences of migrant workers and their families.
Whilst much good is provided by immigration - indeed it is the history of our nation - it must not be encouraged without control, and certainly not to the detriment of English people.
It must never be allowed to fester hostility, and for Fenland to become the breeding ground for intolerance.
Previously I have seen little evidence of work done by local politicians to address these issues, if they have it has certainly not been promoted.
You may also want to watch:
It is regrettable the issue has been raised at election time - maybe this is a cynical move - but for many people it is their primary concern and should be aired.
So, let us have the debate in the open but I ask the Conservative candidates... what have you done about this issue for the past four years?
- 1 Girl, 15, in late night stand-off with train on rural line
- 2 Pupils thrilled to take next step towards England dream
- 3 Jail for 'predator' who raped vulnerable woman in children's play park
- 4 ‘Shovel-ready’ mayor brings key schemes back from the brink
- 5 Threatening domestic abuser tracked and assaulted ex partner of 10 years
- 6 'Savage' attack left man without spleen
- 7 Cant's Drove loses 'worst road in the Fens' title
- 8 30,000 watch Facebook confrontation of alleged paedophile
- 9 7 of the most expensive houses on the market in Cambridgeshire right now
- 10 Pets saved in horrific rescue start to be rehomed
Labour Candidate, Hill Ward