‘I might speak to Usain Bolt!’ - March student volunteers at London 2012 Olympics
MILLIONS have been glued to their television screens for London 2012 this week - but one volunteer from March has got the perfect view.
Shereen Hutton is working for LOCOG as a “flash quote reporter” inside the Olympic Stadium. The 21-year-old’s Games Maker job involves interviewing athletes and taking quotes back to the Olympic Press Centre.
“I’m so excited about it,” she said. “All I’ve done is watch the Olympics this week!
“My job is to get quotes from a mix of athletes from the track and field events.
“I’ve been given a shift pattern and one of the events I’ve got is the 200m. That means I might even get to speak to Usain Bolt afterwards!”
Shereen, who studies sports development and coaching at Sheffield Hallam University, got the Olympic role through one of her lecturers.
She completed her final day of training at the Olympic Park yesterday and will work her first shift on Friday.
- 1 Man, 28, dies after truck and lorries crash on A47
- 2 NHS staff praised for ‘virtually eliminating’ long waiting times
- 3 Two combine harvesters catch fire in under 12 hours
- 4 Discount store expanding making it ‘bigger and better for customers’
- 5 £150,000 splashpad to open in Wisbech
- 6 Driver cleared by reason of insanity over death of Louis Thorold
- 7 How you can treat and prevent heatstroke in your pets
- 8 Unauthorised encampments across Cambs a 'tricky issue' says Police and Crime Commissioner
- 9 Drought officially declared in East Anglian region
- 10 Salesman Stephen who 'has a smile every day' marks 45 years at firm
She said: “I had a piece of my work published yesterday with flash quotes I wrote up from Tyson Gay (American sprinter) in a press conference. That was exciting!”