I pointed out that town councillors were volunteers because many people think we earn an allowance
Erbie Murat, ex-Wisbech town clerk, puffed himself up in last week’s edition and asked why I felt the need to point out that town councillors were volunteers.
A lot of people don’t realise this and think they earn an allowance, like the UKIP county councillors do, or a wage, like town clerks do.
So if UKIP councillors feel the need to accuse volunteers of “lining their pockets” it is only fair to point out the truth.
Fair-minded people expect that when cheap accusations are thrown it is not unreasonable to respond to them.
Then he says I should “support the Wisbech to March rail link” – when anybody who knows me knows full well that I do support it.
You may also want to watch:
Finally, he calls me a “career politician” which is funny in a way. I’m 46 and I’ve spent five years in local politics. So it’s a bit of a stretch to call it a “career”.
There are “careers” with local councils for sure – town clerk is a well-known one, for instance.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 5 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 6 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 7 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 8 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 9 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 10 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
CLLR STEVE TIERNEY
Wisbech town councillor