I was also evacuated from London to Wisbech - and 70 years later moved to Fenland
I READ your article about the reunion of stationer boys visit at Wisbech Grammar School with interest.
I was also a evacuee from London, South Harringay Primary School. Stationers and Hornsey High School for Girls were our local grammar schools and were next to each other - I went to Hornsey High when I was 11.
South Harringay School was evacuated from Harringay West Station to Leverington via Peterborough and Wisbech. Our school arrived at Leverington on September 1 1939 and we stayed until July 1940.
We attended the Leverington School, sharing the school with the local children and part-time in the village hall.
In 2009 my husband and I and eldest son moved up here from Kent exactly 70 years later and we now live in Wisbech St Mary. The house where my sister and I lived for 10 months is still there and it has changed very little.
You may also want to watch:
I belong to several organisations and it sometimes feels very odd that I am up here after all those years ago.
ALMA WALSH (nee Wright)
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 4 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 5 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 6 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 7 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 8 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 9 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 10 Parents 'can never forgive' actions for Maddie's murder