I was also evacuated from London to Wisbech - and 70 years later moved to Fenland
I READ your article about the reunion of stationer boys visit at Wisbech Grammar School with interest.
I was also a evacuee from London, South Harringay Primary School. Stationers and Hornsey High School for Girls were our local grammar schools and were next to each other - I went to Hornsey High when I was 11.
South Harringay School was evacuated from Harringay West Station to Leverington via Peterborough and Wisbech. Our school arrived at Leverington on September 1 1939 and we stayed until July 1940.
We attended the Leverington School, sharing the school with the local children and part-time in the village hall.
In 2009 my husband and I and eldest son moved up here from Kent exactly 70 years later and we now live in Wisbech St Mary. The house where my sister and I lived for 10 months is still there and it has changed very little.
I belong to several organisations and it sometimes feels very odd that I am up here after all those years ago.
ALMA WALSH (nee Wright)
- 1 Inquest concludes 'quiet and happy' teenager took own life
- 2 Fatal crash blocks A1M in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Man taken to hospital after 'welfare' concerns
- 4 Dashcam appeal after three die in three-vehicle A1 crash
- 5 Real living wage given to frontline care home workers
- 6 Teenage motorcyclist dies after BMW crash
- 7 Academy shake-up as one principal goes and another arrives
- 8 Motorists face extra time on journeys due to A141 closure
- 9 Take a look inside this £600,000 converted barn hidden in the Fens
- 10 Prince Charming mannequin seen in car on motorway is mistaken for a body