Illegal workers rounded up as police and customs officers swoop on Wisbech premises
- Credit: Archant
INDIAN and Pakistani workers who had over stayed the terms of their visas and Chinese workers – one of who had entered the UK illegally- were among those arrested in Wisbech.
The immigration clampdown saw police and customs officials make arrests at four premises following routine checks across town.
At the Premier Shop in Norwich Road two Indians were arrested for not returning after their visas had expired.
Haran’s All in One store in Norfolk Street was found to have an Indian who had also over stayed his visa permit whilst at the Tandoori Hut a Pakistani was caught as he tried to run out the back door. He too had contravened the terms of his visa.
Later checks on China Garden in Norwich Road revealed three Chinese nationals with no right to be here, one a failed asylum seeker, another a visa over stayer and a third an illegal entrant.
You may also want to watch:
Businesses can face fines of up to £10,000 for each illegal worker if they cannot prove they have carried out pre employment checks.
Home Office enforcement officer Robin Humphris said operations such as this were carried out daily across the country.
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 3 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 6 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 7 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 8 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 9 Janice launches Slimming World group after losing over two stone
- 10 Board says Covid-19 figures are ‘stable’ at City hospital
“We are working hard to ensure that there is no hiding place for offenders,” he said.
“Where we find people who are in the country illegally, we will seek to remove them.”