Illustrator Matty scoops Cambridgeshire’s ‘Read it Again!’ Children’s Picture Book Award at bash in Wisbech
- Credit: Archant
Cambridge illustrator Matty Long’s latest picture book was crowned the winner as Thomas Clarkson Academy in Wisbech hosted the 11th ‘Read it Again!’ Cambridgeshire Children’s Book Awards.
Long’s ‘Super Happy Magic Forest’ book scooped first prize after being voted as the favourites of school pupils across the county on Wednesday June 15.
This year, over 12,000 children from over 70 Cambridgeshire Primary Schools took part in ‘Read it Again!’ by reading, discussing and then voting for their favourite picture book from a shortlist of eight titles.
Many schools created their own stories and artwork inspired by the books and pupils at one school even created a computer game.
Previous winners of ‘Read it Again!’ include Emily Gravett, Marta Altes, Tim Hopgood and Chris Haughton, all of whom have gone on to receive worldwide acclaim for their work.
Six of the eight shortlisted authors appeared at Thomas Clarkson Academy along with last year’s winner, Simons Ciraolo, Deputy Mayor of Wisbech, Steve Tierney and over 200 school children from across the county.
- 1 Glasses smashed and beer poured on pub floor after alcohol refusal
- 2 Roll up, roll up, for the Fenland Council mini ‘sale of the century’
- 3 Police ‘increasingly concerned’ for woman missing since Wednesday
- 4 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 5 Zip-shaped mark on Rikki's body came from his anorak – the one used to strangle him, court told
- 6 £14.6m school transformation complete after two-year project
- 7 Man suffers injuries after A142 morning crash
- 8 ‘Loved and valued volunteer’ shares her special bond with charity
- 9 Motorists face extra time on journeys due to A141 closure
- 10 WATCH: Emotional tribute to honour and remember crash victim