Images of car released in Sam Mechelewski murder investigation
- Credit: Archant
Dectectives investigating a murder in Hinchingbrooke park, Huntingdon, have released images of a car that was seen in the area at the time.
The body of Sam Mechelewski, 20, was found by a member of the public on February 1, in the wooded area on Hinchingbrooke Country Park.
Specalist diving team from the Metropoliton Pikce will be searching a pond near Woodlands and the edge of the park today (February 9).
Officers are keen to speak to anyone who saw the vehicle, a black Audi A3, in Huntingdon in the evening of Wednesday last week (31 January).
Cambridgeshire Police searched the wood in the area where Sam was found, including a team using rakes which went through the wood on Saturday.
You may also want to watch:
They have also been carrying out door-to-door inquiries in the area as well as checking nearby roads.
The area where Sam was discovered is at the opposite end of the park to the main entrance and closer to the A14. There is a small entrance to the park close to the search area which gives access to a housing area.
- 1 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 2 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 3 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 4 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 5 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 6 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 7 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
- 8 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 9 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 10 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
A post mortem examination was conducted on Sam, who was of no fixed address but living in Huntingdon, on Friday evening, but no further details have been made public about the cause of his death.
Yesterday CCTV images of Sam were released showing him at a branch of Sainsbury’s in St Germain Walk, Huntingdon, shortly before 8pm on 31 January.
Detective Chief Inspector Adam Gallop said: “We’re appealing to anyone who saw this vehicle in the Huntingdon area to get in touch with us as a matter of urgency. It may have been parked by the side of the road. We need to get answers about who was in the vehicle and what they were doing in the area.
“We also want to speak to anyone who saw Sam from the time he was captured on CCTV in Sainsbury’s onwards. We need to piece more information together about who he was with and where he went. Please get in touch with any information, however insignificant you feel it may be.”
Anyone with information regarding this incident should call police on 101 quoting CC-01022018-0198 or visit https://mipp.police.uk/operation/554. Alternatively, contact Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555111 or via www.crimestoppers-uk.org.