Immediate action taken after traces of fatal disease found in Neale-Wade water supply

A COLLEGE in March has taken swift action after it found traces of a fatal disease in its water supply.

A small amount of bacteria, which causes Legionnaires’ disease, was found in the water system of the Sports Hall at Neale-Wade Community College yesterday prompting the school to shut off its water supply for a few hours.

A spokesman for Neale-Wade Community College said: “Following a routine check, a minute trace of Legionella bacteria, well below the acceptable safety limits, was detected in the Sports Hall water system.

“Immediate action was taken and as a precautionary measure, the water in the buildings affected was not used until maintenance work had been completed and the water checked. This was completed within hours and the Sports Hall reopened.”

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter