March Summer Festival Parade 2018 – from vintage cars to Disney characters
- Credit: Archant
People took to social media to praise another successful year of the fun-packed music and family entertainment event that is the March Summer Festival.
Hundreds lined the streets as they waited for the 2018 parade to come through the town, which was held up for about 40 minutes after a woman in the crowd collapsed.
Parade organiser, Councillor Rob Skoulding, said: “A woman collapsed outside Ellis Winters estate agents. Eye witnesses aid she simply fell forward on her face on to the pavement.
“The parade was delayed for about 40 minutes while police and ambulance staff dealt with it. She was later found to be OK.”
Councillor Jan French said: “I would like to give a big thanks to the Baptist church who supplied drinks and biscuits (after the incident). Thank you for your help. I will be supporting you in my mayoral charity fund.”
You may also want to watch:
Cllr Skoulding added: “The parade was a great success this year and did the town proud.
“It had to be made shorter, so missed off the Robingoodfellows Lane and Station Road section on safety grounds, but it was a great turn out.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 3 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
- 4 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 5 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 6 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 7 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 8 Speeding car smashes into two vehicles before driving off
- 9 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 10 Inquest opens into death of labourer, 20, who drowned
“The parade is all about the children and we put their safety first.”
The committee only has 20 barriers and there are not enough to line those sections of roads, so for safety reasons they were missed off this year, he said.
Dancing, music, classic car parade, Vivien the fire engine, fancy dress and family picnics were all part of the weekend’s entertainment.
There was also the popular dog show, fun fair rides, food, circus skills nad a colouring competition,
One person on social media summed up the success of the event saying: “March and it’s people never fail to surprise me. Lovely people, lovely town.”
March Summer Festival is a major community event which has been running alongside the March Lions Club Gala in its present form since 2000.