Independent Candidates for May Elections
IN the bleak Fenland mid-winter there is nothing better guaranteed to give the reader of this local paper a good laugh than a letter from our favourite local clown - Reg Kemp.
Last week, in your pages, red-nosed-Reg proposed the virtues of lots of Independent Candidates standing in May’s FDC elections.
The problem is that one lone and maverick Independent at District won’t be able get anything done. And if by some miracle we were to end up with two or three Independents on District, for them to have any ‘clout’ and be able to effectively oppose the ruling Tory masses, they would have to form a group - and then by definition they’re no longer Independent. It’s an obvious contradiction in terms.
Rather than a rank of single issue candidates, Fenland needs a united opposition with Party organisation and resources to back it. And that’s what the Fenland Liberal Democrats already offer.
Reg ‘Hans Christian Anderson’ Kemp’s claim that the Lib Dems are a spent force is inaccurate.
To quote Mark Twain - “reports of our death are greatly exaggerated!” Please don’t worry Reg, the Fenland Liberal Democrats will be providing robust opposition to those complacent sitting councillors across the District.
And we’d be delighted to hear from anyone who’d like to join our Lib Dem winning team.
- 1 Inquest concludes 'quiet and happy' teenager took own life
- 2 Fatal crash blocks A1M in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Man taken to hospital after 'welfare' concerns
- 4 Dashcam appeal after three die in three-vehicle A1 crash
- 5 Real living wage given to frontline care home workers
- 6 Teenage motorcyclist dies after BMW crash
- 7 Academy shake-up as one principal goes and another arrives
- 8 Take a look inside this £600,000 converted barn hidden in the Fens
- 9 Prince Charming mannequin seen in car on motorway is mistaken for a body
- 10 Motorists face extra time on journeys due to A141 closure
Fenland Liberal Democrats