Inquest into the murder of Wisbech pensioner Una Crown is to be resumed - more than two years after she died
- Credit: Archant
The inquest of Una Crown is to be resumed at the end of next month.
The body of the 86 year old woman was found at her home in Magazine Lane, Wisbech, on January 13 2013.
She had been stabbed multiple times and her body set on fire.
When news of her death was first made public police ruled it was not suspicious, two days later however, they admitted she had been brutally murdered in her bungalow sometime between 5pm on Saturday January 12 and Sunday morning when her body was discovered by a relative.
A post mortem showed she was stabbed multiple times in the neck and chest before her attacker set fire to her body as it lay in the entrance hall of the bungalow in a bid to destroy any evidence.
You may also want to watch:
A reconstruction of the case was broadcast as part of the BBC’s Crimewatch programme in April 2013 but the murder weapon was never found nor has Mrs Crown’s gold wedding band which was missing from her body.
Two police officers, who failed to spot the Wisbech widow had been murdered, were this month criticised in a report by the professional standards department of Cambridgeshire police.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 3 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
- 4 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 5 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 6 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 7 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 8 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 9 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 10 Speeding car smashes into two vehicles before driving off
An internal review, carried out by Supt Mark Hodgson, head of the professional standards department, said the actions of both officers had “breached the standards of professional behaviour”.
Supt Hodgson said both officers “greatly regret” the distress caused to the widow’s family by the failure to spot the murder early on.
“They should have erred on the side of caution and either declared the death suspicious or sought further guidance,” he concluded.
Among recommendations from the inquiry is for officers to be given further training to prevent any reoccurrence.
Last summer a fresh team of detectives from the Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire Major Crime Unit re-launched the investigation in the hope it would lead to a breakthrough in the case.
An inquest into her death will be held at Lawrence Court, Huntingdon, on Tuesday March 31, heard by William Reade Morris.