Inspirational Fenland volunteer bags Kids Are Alright Challenge monthly prize
VOLUNTEER Gareth Usher has been named as this month’s winner in the Kids Are Alright Challenge after judges praised him as “an inspiration to people of all ages”.
The 18-year-old has spent countless hours working with children at Young People March (YPM), volunteering at the centre, in City Road, for the last four years.
He is the chairman of YPM’s Fenzone committee, has played a leading role in setting up a mentoring scheme and has just raised �400 for Help for Heroes by completing a sponsored bike ride.
Judge Tali Iserles said: “It was incredibly hard to pick just one winner because all of the candidates do an amazing job to improve their communities and inspire those around them.
“However, Gareth stood out as he’s put so much of his heart and soul into helping others. For the past four years, he’s spent 10 hours a week mentoring and motivating youngsters at Young People March - a massive commitment.
You may also want to watch:
“He’s helped with training and fundraising and encouraged children and teens to achieve their goals. He’s also done a sponsored bike ride to raise money for Help for Heroes. Gareth is an inspiration to people of all ages.”
Gareth wins �50 of shopping vouchers along with his trophy.
- 1 Wife's tribute to husband killed in B1101 Elm Road crash
- 2 Floral tributes laid for man killed in B1101 Elm Road crash
- 3 Man, aged in his 40s, dies after suspected drug-fuelled B1101 crash
- 4 Cannabis worth over £656,000 uncovered in Fen village
- 5 Updates as emergency services rush to major crash blocking B1101
- 6 Grandmother of drowning victim calls for Bawsey Pits closure
- 7 Covid ban on collecting CCTV says police after cycle theft
- 8 Vaccine centre closure date announced amid 60,000 doses target
- 9 Man dies following crash on Cambridgeshire road
- 10 'Gone but never forgotten' - tributes left by lake where man drowned
• There is one more monthly prize up for grabs in the Kids Are Alright Challenge as the countdown begins for July’s grand final at the Boathouse, in Wisbech.
To nominate a young person for the Kids Are Alright Challenge 2011 fill in the form on our website or e-mail your nomination to firstname.lastname@example.org