Inspiring new sculpture unveiled in Ely
- Credit: Archant
A NEW sculpture celebrating the Olympic spirit was unveiled by deputy mayor of Ely, Councillor Elizabeth Every, on Saturday afternoon during a music event where a selection of bands and rappers performed in the city’s Jubilee Gardens.
The carving was created as part of a nationally funded project ‘Winning Words’ that encouraged young people to produce poems and raps that embodied the Olympic spirit.
Arts organisation ADeC organised two workshops at the YPL Music Rooms in Littleport last summer, when young people were led by the professional rapper ‘Cire’.
Part of one of the resulting raps - written by beatboxer Stephen Malkin and rapper Jay Bryant of Littleport - has been carved into a round stone which was positioned next to the Babylon Gallery at Ely Waterside.
The rap is called ‘All It Takes Is Belief’ and was performed when the Paralympic Flame visited Ely last August.
You may also want to watch:
The carving has been produced by professional stone carver Tom Perkins whose work can also be seen in Buckingham Palace. The stone has been designed to represent a vinyl record with the text circling around the centre.
The text on the stone reads:
- 1 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Man charged over death threats to deputy Labour leader Angela Rayner
- 4 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 5 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 6 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 7 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 8 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 9 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 10 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
It’s all about finding that spark inside,
Once it ignites it starts to shine bright,
It lights up the dark, the dark inside,
You open your eyes, realise
...all it takes is belief