Investigation launched after man injured discovered four hours after crash
AN investigation has been launched into the actions of police officers at a crash scene after it emerged that a man with serious injuries was not discovered until four hours after they attended.
Norfolk Constabulary went to the scene of the crashed Peugeot 406 in a ditch off the A47 at Walpole Highway, near Wisbech, at 11.20am on Sunday, July 8.
However at approximately 4pm on the same day, a member of the public discovered a 54-year-old man with serious injuries in the vicinity of the vehicle.
He remains in a serious condition in hospital.
The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) has now launched an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the incident and has appealed for witnesses to come forward.
IPCC Commissioner Sarah Green said: “We have decided to undertake an independent investigation to examine the actions of the police following the initial report of the incident.
“We are appealing for anyone who saw the injured man or the damaged vehicle off the A47 to please contact us.”
- 1 56-bed care home backers revise access proposals
- 2 Council to spend a penny or two from £8.4m 'pot' on new loos
- 3 Farmer wins appeal to convert derelict barn into a house
- 4 Seven places where £4.9m road maintenance has been approved
- 5 Jail for fraudulent accountant who tried to steal £200k of employer’s money
- 6 Jail for paedophile who photographed abuse
- 7 Knife attack man hid over £3,500 of drugs at mum's home
- 8 Footballer, Harry, hoping for future in professional football
- 9 Depleted villagers battle on in courageous defeat
- 10 £4,000 raised for Natalie to live her dreams after cancer diagnosis
It not known exactly when the incident occurred but is thought to have been between 8.30pm on Saturday, July 7 and 11.20am the following morning, when it was reported to police.
The car came to rest by a ditch several yards off the westbound side of the dual carriageway, just beyond the Mill Road overpass.
The IPCC has contacted the family of the man involved to alert them to its involvement.
Investigators also want to trace the man who initially reported the vehicle to police from an emergency phone at a lay-by on the A47 at 11.20am.
Norfolk Police’s Serious Collision Investigation Team is continuing to look into how the crash happened.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the IPCC on 0800 096 9076 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.