Investigation launched after man injured discovered four hours after crash
AN investigation has been launched into the actions of police officers at a crash scene after it emerged that a man with serious injuries was not discovered until four hours after they attended.
Norfolk Constabulary went to the scene of the crashed Peugeot 406 in a ditch off the A47 at Walpole Highway, near Wisbech, at 11.20am on Sunday, July 8.
However at approximately 4pm on the same day, a member of the public discovered a 54-year-old man with serious injuries in the vicinity of the vehicle.
He remains in a serious condition in hospital.
The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) has now launched an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the incident and has appealed for witnesses to come forward.
You may also want to watch:
IPCC Commissioner Sarah Green said: “We have decided to undertake an independent investigation to examine the actions of the police following the initial report of the incident.
“We are appealing for anyone who saw the injured man or the damaged vehicle off the A47 to please contact us.”
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 4 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 5 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 6 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 7 Board says Covid-19 figures are ‘stable’ at City hospital
- 8 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 9 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
It not known exactly when the incident occurred but is thought to have been between 8.30pm on Saturday, July 7 and 11.20am the following morning, when it was reported to police.
The car came to rest by a ditch several yards off the westbound side of the dual carriageway, just beyond the Mill Road overpass.
The IPCC has contacted the family of the man involved to alert them to its involvement.
Investigators also want to trace the man who initially reported the vehicle to police from an emergency phone at a lay-by on the A47 at 11.20am.
Norfolk Police’s Serious Collision Investigation Team is continuing to look into how the crash happened.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the IPCC on 0800 096 9076 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.