It cost �250 off eBay and it’s done 326,000 miles... but taxi tractor is heading for Barcelona
WITH a 1,300-mile drive in front of you, a battered Metro taxi disguised as a tractor is unlikely to be your first choice of vehicle.
But mechanic Jonathan Upchurch, from March, has selected just that as he prepares to tackle ‘Barcelona Bangers’ to raise money for Macmillan Cancer Support.
Mr Upchurch will be joined by Alan Stimpson, Jherek Upchurch and Joshua Harlock for the event, which involves driving through France, over the Alps, along the Riviera and on to Barcelona.
The only catch is that the journey has to be completed in a car worth less than �250 - and Mr Upchurch found one... on eBay.
He said: “We’ve got an old Metro cab that came from Doncaster, which has done 326,000 miles. It will be the second highest mileage car that has done it.
You may also want to watch:
“Being Fenland lads, we also thought we would make it look like a tractor.”
Anker of Coates have donated the group John Deere tractor equipment, including paint and stickers, to complete the car’s Fenland makeover.
- 1 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 4 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 5 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 6 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 7 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 8 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 9 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 10 NFU president visits Wimblington on East Anglia tour
Mr Upchurch, who runs Jonathan Upchurch Vehicle Repairs, in Whittlesey Road, said: “I was flicking through the Internet and I came across the Barcelona Bangers. I just thought I wouldn’t mind having a go at it.
“It looks like good fun and we’ve serviced the car so it should make it. It’s certainly something different!”
More than 80 teams will compete in the Barcelona Bangers, which takes place over the Jubilee weekend next month.
The group have already raised more than �300 for Macmillan. Sponsorship forms can be found at the garage or in March Quality Meats, in High Street.