It may not be life changing but it puts smiles on faces - donate your unwanted football kit to a charity that sends them to Africa, says Sutton co-ordinator
- Credit: Archant
Football fans are being urged to donate to a charity that sends team and individual kits to children and adults in Africa.
Martin Pickering, race director of the Sutton Beast 10K race in Sutton, has become a regional coordinator for the charity who said unwanted kit would find itself a very loving new home and urged people to get in touch.
Lifelong footie fan and former Girton player, Martin said: “I was looking for something positive to get involved in and recently became a regional coordinator for a charity called KITAID.
“They collect old football kit and send it on to Africa mainly to distribute to football mad kids and adults for them to use as team kit or just wear as an individual.
“They have been going for 18 years and have distributed 315,000 items of kit in over 51 countries!
“It’s not life saving, but can be life changing and puts smiles on faces and can give individuals a sense of belonging to a team and a sense of personal identity.
“I remember getting the new Liverpool kit as a kid and remember how brilliant that felt (the away yellow kit with red pin stripes my personal favourite) and I’m sure the recipients of this donated kit feel the same.”
- 1 Man in 50s dies after medical incident in field
- 2 Two escape unhurt after car plunges into river
- 3 Family run tea room closes after 10 years in business
- 4 Café holds 'heavy heart' as it announces closure
- 5 New dessert shop bids to become 'best in the area'
- 6 Bungalow fire in town was ‘accidental’
- 7 Family's tribute to 'son in a million' killed in motorbike crash
- 8 Man in 30s dead, two arrested on suspicion of murder in Norfolk town
- 9 Murder suspects continue to be quizzed as detectives seek CCTV
- 10 Covid-19 'virtual ward' will help patients recover at home
People can donate kit either by sending/dropping off to Martin. Email him on email@example.com.
Alternatively send direct to Kitaid HQ c/o Affinity Water, Tamblin Way, Hatfield, Herts, AL10 9EZ.
You can donate any type of football kit, a single shirt from any club, or a whole team kit or more.
The charity also sends out boots, trophies and spare Match Attax cards which are useful to give to kids who may not receive a shirt.
For more details visit Kitaid.