It may not be life changing but it puts smiles on faces - donate your unwanted football kit to a charity that sends them to Africa, says Sutton co-ordinator
- Credit: Archant
Football fans are being urged to donate to a charity that sends team and individual kits to children and adults in Africa.
Martin Pickering, race director of the Sutton Beast 10K race in Sutton, has become a regional coordinator for the charity who said unwanted kit would find itself a very loving new home and urged people to get in touch.
Lifelong footie fan and former Girton player, Martin said: “I was looking for something positive to get involved in and recently became a regional coordinator for a charity called KITAID.
“They collect old football kit and send it on to Africa mainly to distribute to football mad kids and adults for them to use as team kit or just wear as an individual.
“They have been going for 18 years and have distributed 315,000 items of kit in over 51 countries!
You may also want to watch:
“It’s not life saving, but can be life changing and puts smiles on faces and can give individuals a sense of belonging to a team and a sense of personal identity.
“I remember getting the new Liverpool kit as a kid and remember how brilliant that felt (the away yellow kit with red pin stripes my personal favourite) and I’m sure the recipients of this donated kit feel the same.”
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 3 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 5 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 6 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 7 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 8 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 9 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 10 Parents 'can never forgive' actions for Maddie's murder
People can donate kit either by sending/dropping off to Martin. Email him on email@example.com.
Alternatively send direct to Kitaid HQ c/o Affinity Water, Tamblin Way, Hatfield, Herts, AL10 9EZ.
You can donate any type of football kit, a single shirt from any club, or a whole team kit or more.
The charity also sends out boots, trophies and spare Match Attax cards which are useful to give to kids who may not receive a shirt.
For more details visit Kitaid.