It’s all at the Co-op for rising star Lucy
A WOMAN with a passion for farming and agriculture has been named ‘Rising Star of The Year by The Co-operative Food which employs more than 80,000 people.
Lucy Mason, 29, who works at The Co-operative’s Coldham farm, picked up the award at The Co-operative’s Good With Food Awards, which celebrate the great work of individuals and teams across The Co-operative’s food business over the past 12 months.
Lucy, who is currently the only woman enrolled on The Co-operative Farms’ Fresh Produce Graduate Scheme was voted ‘Rising Star’ by her colleagues in recognition of the enthusiasm and motivation she brings to the role.
Lucy grew up on organic dairy and vegetable farm and before starting The Co-operative Farms’ graduate scheme, studied Rural Enterprise and Land Management at Harper Adams University College in Shropshire.
Lucy says it’s her farm upbringing that has inspired her. She explained: ‘Living on a working farm as a child definitely fuelled my interest in agriculture. I initially began a career in rural surveying but quickly realised it wasn’t for me. I couldn’t wait to get my wellies back on and winning this award has proved that I made the right decision!”
The Co-operative Farms is Britain’s largest farmer and its graduate scheme, which lasts for two years, gives graduates the chance to try their hand at a variety of different placements within the farming business.
As part of the scheme, Lucy has spent time working at The Co-operative’s fruit farm in Blairgowrie, the Group’s head office in Manchester as part of the technical team and is currently on placement as The Co-operative’s farm in Coldham, which grows a variety of crops including onions, broccoli, sugar beet, wheat and rape seed. It is also home to The Co-operative’s windfarm.
- 1 Boxing club 'absolutely gutted' as mass brawl abandons show
- 2 One arrest and cars seized on busy day for cops
- 3 Wenny Meadow home to rare 'false scorpions', says hidden report
- 4 Mother pays tribute to “much-loved” son who died near Fen Drayton
- 5 Robber attempts to steal scratch card and alcohol from convenience store
- 6 Cambridgeshire's Enhanced Area Status extended amid Covid surge in schools
- 7 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 8 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 9 Motorbike set on fire in arson attack
- 10 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash