It’s all kicking off with Macmillan Football Club
- Credit: Archant
A group of football enthusiasts from Fenland have come together to create their very own football team in aid of Macmillan Cancer Support.
The team, called Macmillan FC, was started by Justin Cross from Wisbech, whose father was diagnosed with cancer last year.
He said: “He currently has to go to Norwich hospital once a month for an injection and it wasn’t until then that I thought about Macmillan, not in a selfish way but me like most other people think it won’t happen to me or my family and when it does it hits you like a brick.
“Macmillan was my dad’s voice when he was in hospital and helped loads.”
Mr Cross quickly had a group of supporters behind him ready to play football to raise funds for the Macmillan charity.
You may also want to watch:
A few months down the line and the team have now been sponsored by various local companies and businesses and have shirts, rain jackets and match balls, all paid for by the sponsors.
The team now play at Wisbech Town’s ground the Elgood’s Fenland Stadium and have already played seven games, organised a tournament and played a team of ex-professionals and radio presenters.
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 3 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 4 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 5 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 6 Farm donates pumpkins and money to hospitals ‘close to our hearts’
- 7 Man found dead in March
- 8 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 9 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 10 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
They have, so far, raised £1,700 and have more matches planned for the future, including a match at Carrow Road, the home of Norwich Football Club.
The team say that they could not have done it without the players and the fans that turn up to each game.
Macmillan Cancer Support helps cancer sufferers and their families to cope with any problems that they have throughout the illness.
To find out more about Macmillan FC or if you would like to take part in your own sports match for Macmillan Cancer Support visit http://www.macmillan.org.uk/Fundraising/MatchforMacmillan/match-for-macmillan.aspx or contact Jessica Levin, fundraising manager in Cambridgeshire, on 07894 566608 or on firstname.lastname@example.org.