‘It’s just what Christmas should be about’ - Whittlesey Christmas Extravaganza celebrates another successful year with Santa’s Grotto, face painting, raffles and live entertainment
- Credit: Archant
The town’s people pulled their hats, gloves, scarves (and onesies!) out of the wardrobe this weekend to defy the winter weather at the Whittlesey Christmas Extravaganza.
As the streets lit up families took part in charity games and raffles, children enjoyed getting their faces painted, funfair rides provided the thrills and Whittlesey Christian Church was covered in miniature decorated Christmas trees.
Father Christmas also made a special flying visit for the evening and welcomed 80 children into his grotto (specially created by Whittlesey Tangent & Ladies Circle) with their Christmas lists.
After Mayor of Whittlesey Alex Miscandlon declared the extravaganza open in Market Square, an evening worth of entertainment was provided by New Road Molly, 20TwentyProductions Choir and the Cambridgeshire Caledonian Pipe Band, while the Citadel Salvation Army saw the night out with carol singing.
Shirley Wright, Whittlesey Extravaganza Committee secretary, said: “It was an excellent evening and a good time was had by all.
You may also want to watch:
“We were incredibly lucky with the weather as well,” she added.
“People came and stopped and seemed to be enjoying themselves. The charity stalls said they took lots of money and Santa was very, very busy.
- 1 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 2 Daughters remember artist father who would ‘always be there’
- 3 Cyclist stabbed in broad daylight attack
- 4 Care home ‘requires improvement’ in five key areas
- 5 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 6 Farm donates pumpkins and money to hospitals ‘close to our hearts’
- 7 Man found dead in March
- 8 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 9 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 10 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
“It’s just what Christmas is supposed to be about!”