IT’S PLAYTIME: Group of Fenland villagers get their wish as new playground set to open
TWO years of hard work will pay off for a group of Fenland villagers next Sunday when their new playground opens.
The Leverington Playground Group has worked tirelessly to raise funds for a new play area on the playing field near the village’s sports and social club.
After raising around �8,000 and receiving a large grant from Fenland District Council the group’s dream has finally become reality.
Sarah Davey, the playground group’s secretary, said: “Firstly I would like to say a really big thank you to all of you for your help and support over the last two years.
“I’m really pleased to announce that the playground is virtually complete and will open at noon next Sunday as part of a special opening event.
You may also want to watch:
“Our very good friend, and supporter, Cambridgeshire County Councillor Steve Tierney, will open the play area. We’re inviting parents along to enjoy picnics so we can, weather permitting of course, make a day of it all.”
The opening event will have an ‘Under the Sea’ theme and winners of the ‘Name the Ship and Train’ competition, run by Leverington Primary Academy, will also be invited to attend.
- 1 Damning care home report reveals all areas ‘require improvement’
- 2 ‘It’s a sad thing really’ - vandalism at village church and war memorial
- 3 Two lorry crash blocks part of A14 in Cambridgeshire
- 4 Man dies following crash on Cambridgeshire road
- 5 Second dispersal order in two months to tackle anti-social behaviour
- 6 Ex-employee ordered to pay £2k after losing ‘age discrimination’ case
- 7 Mayor ‘wantonly diverted’ £40m of housing cash
- 8 Drink driver reported after village crash
- 9 Care home residents enjoy a gift of touch screen technology
- 10 Former Fen pupil’s McLaren supercar work leads to national award
Cllr Tierney, a member of the Conservative party who represents the Roman Bank and Peckover Ward, said in his summer 2011 newsletter: “Anybody who tells you the Big Society does not exist need only look at this.
“Councillors, councils and amazing people working together to achieve something exciting. This is great news for Leverington. The Playground Group should be proud of themselves.
“Together, we have achieved something really positive for the village.”