‘It’s something that has been taken off my bucket list’: Ryan celebrates beating cancer by setting sail around the Solent
- Credit: Archant
A 19-year-old who beat cancer has spoke of his ‘life changing’ experience of setting sail across the Solent with the help of the Ellen MacArthur Cancer Trust.
Ryan Large, from Benwick, finished treatment for multifocal germinoma in 2014, and decided to join 16 other young people in recovery from cancer to sail around the Solent on the south coast for four days earlier this month.
Ryan, who was treated at Addenbrooke’s, embarked on his first sailing mission from the East Cowes Marina on the Isle of Wight on September 5, before navigating the waters of the Solent, stopping off at Yarmouth Harbour and the bay of Newtown Creek before returning to the Isle of Wight.
He said: “Before I had cancer, I had no confidence, and a lot of people going through cancer lose a lot of confidence. This trip helps to reinforce your self-belief because it puts you out of your comfort zone.”
Sailing onboard 42-48 foot cruising yachts, the Ellen MacArthurt Trust trips provide a chance for the young people to test themselves in a safe and supportive environment, encouraging them to work as a team and get involved in everything from helming the boat to cooking.
You may also want to watch:
“It’s a once in a lifetime opportunity,” said Ryan.
“Especially for people who have had cancer. It’s not something you’d expect to be able to do and it seriously, seriously, seriously is a must do. I think it’s something that has been taken off my bucket list; when they thought I was terminal I made a bucket list, and one of the things on there was to overcome my fears and I overcame some today. And it’s going to inspire me to start fundraising for the Ellen MacArthur Cancer Trust.”
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 3 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 4 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 5 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 6 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 7 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 8 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 9 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
Launched in 2003, the Ellen MacArthur Cancer Trust aims to give young people in recovery from cancer the chance to rebuild their confidence through sailing. The Trust trips provide a chance for the young people to test themselves in a safe and supportive environment.