It’s town councils that elect mayors, NOT Fenland District Council
I was somewhat puzzled by Councillor Alan Lay’s confused letter in last week’s newspaper.
For some reason he felt the need to talk about Fenland District Council, though it is town councils that elect a mayor.
Then he seemed surprised about my suggestions of hypocrisy. I was referring, of course, to Ramsey, the nearby town where UKIP control the town council and was very quick to install a UKIP mayor.
I was also surprised by the suggestion that Wisbech town councillors “only look after themselves”.
Town councillors are volunteers. We all do hundreds of hours of work for free every year. We do not get any allowances or any expenses - and we do not want any.
You may also want to watch:
It is quite different to the UKIP county councillors who claim thousands of pounds in allowances and expenses each year.
We only have to read recent headlines to see what they do to earn all that cash, though, don’t we?
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 3 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 4 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 5 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 6 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 7 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 8 Janice launches Slimming World group after losing over two stone
- 9 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 10 County passes funding of new £25m Wisbech school back to the Government