Jack’s supermarket donates £400 to community groups
The supermarket chain Jack’s has donated £400 to five organisations close to its Chatteris store.
FACT Community Transport, March Camera Club and the White Hart Bowls Club in Warboys are among the groups in Fenland to receive the cash.
Nicola Christy, from FACT Community Transport, said the funding will go towards the charity’s work in providing safe and affordable transport for Fenland residents.
Meanwhile, Robert Elmore, from the White Hart Bowls Club, added: “The money we have received from Jack’s will be spent on maintaining the green through the winter season so that it is ready to be played on again in April 2021.
“With very little income over recent months, any funding we receive is vital to helping the club survive.”
Bury C of E Primary School and the 1st Bury and Upweek Scouting Group near Huntingdon also received a £400 donation from the supermarket chain, which is part of the Tesco family.
Charities and organisations supporting the Chatteris community are invited to apply for the Jack’s Supports scheme where the sale of carrier bags is put towards good causes.
- 1 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 2 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 3 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 4 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 5 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
- 6 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 7 Photographer, Eleanor, wins highly regarded award
- 8 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 9 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 10 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
Previously, four groups were shortlisted for a £250 year donation. But after such a challenging year, Jack’s has decided every organisation that applied to the scheme should receive £400.
In total, 68 community groups close to the chain’s 12 stores across the country have received the cash. Over £27,000 in donations has been handed out.
Peter Lonsdale, Store Manager of Jack’s Chatteris, said: “The Jack’s Supports scheme has been running for a while now and it’s great to see how many local organisations have benefitted from our donations.
“It’s wonderful we have been able to provide support for all organisations who have applied this year as it’s important to everyone at Jack’s to be able to give back to the local community who have always been so kind to us.
“We strongly recommend anyone who’s considering applying to definitely get involved.”
To be considered for the next round of Jack’s Supports funding, apply by visiting https://jackssupports.org.uk/.