Jail and ban for Chatteris man who caused head-on crash on A141 near Wimblington by dangerous driving
- Credit: Archant
A man has been jailed for a year and banned from driving for causing a head-on crash on the A141 that left another driver with serious injuries.
Robert Wing, 26, decided to overtake in his Volkgwagen GTi while driving along the A141 Isle of Ely Way, Wimblington, at about 6.40pm on October 24 last year.
However, he collided head-on with an oncoming vehicle, also a Volswagen GTi, being driven by a man from Longstanton, now aged 69.
Both men suffered serious injuries and were taken to Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge. The victim has not fully recovered and still makes regular visits to the hospital for treatment.
Wing, of Park Street, Chatteris, pleaded guilty to causing serious injury by dangerous driving and possession of cannabis, which was found in his vehicle following the collision.
You may also want to watch:
On Tuesday, at Cambridge Crown Court, he was jailed, disqualified from driving for four years and given a £100 victim surcharge.
Pc Andy Coop, who investigated the crash, said: “Wing’s overtaking manoeuvre was reckless and dangerous and it could easily have resulted in a fatal crash.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
- 5 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 6 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 7 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 8 Photographer, Eleanor, wins highly regarded award
- 9 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 10 Keep your eyes peeled for David’s dinosaur this weekend
“This is reflected in the prison sentence and I hope it gives some comfort to the victim, whose life has been severely affected by the collision and is still recovering his health.”