Jail for man who filmed himself raping a woman in Peterborough
- Credit: Archant
A man who filmed himself raping a woman in Cambridgeshire has been jailed for six years.
Vitalijus Buinovskis, 25, attended a small gathering in Ravensthorpe, Peterborough, on 22 July. In the early hours of the following day the victim, a woman in her 20s, fell asleep in the lounge.
At about 10am a third person at the property noticed Buinovskis’ phone ringing on the table in the lounge. When he picked it up, he noticed pictures of the victim and a video of Buinovskis raping her whilst she was asleep. The man attacked Buinovskis, who made off.
Buinovskis, of Rockingham Grove in Peterborough, was arrested later that day and charged with rape.
On 27 October he appeared at Peterborough Crown Court and pleaded guilty to the offence. He was sentenced today (24 November) at Cambridge Crown Court.
You may also want to watch:
When sentencing Buinovskis, Judge Bridge said: “It is clear you exploited the position that you found yourself in and had sex with an unconscious woman who had absolutely no opportunity to resist. You also remarkably decided to film yourself doing so.
“The effect on this victim has been enormous. There is no doubt that I must pass a very substantial sentence given what you have done, to reflect the seriousness of this offence.”
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 4 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 5 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 6 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 7 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 8 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 9 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 10 Parents 'can never forgive' actions for Maddie's murder
Detective Constable Faye Patterson said: “This was a nasty incident, made all the more disturbing by the fact Buinovskis filmed what happened.
“I hope the conclusion of the court proceedings will help the victim to start rebuilding her life.
“Tackling sexual offences is a priority for the constabulary and we will do all we can to bring perpetrators to justice.”