Jail for the man who attacked love rival with a hammer before turning on his pregnant girlfriend
- Credit: Archant
A man who attacked a love rival with a hammer before turning on his pregnant girlfriend has been jailed.
Craig Downer, 23, lashed out at the 20-year-old victim following an argument in a car park off Huntly Road, Woodston, Peterborough, on April 21, last year.
The victim suffered injuries to his head and legs in the attack.
The victim’s heavily pregnant girlfriend was also taken to hospital due to stomach pains after the incident, in which she claimed to have been dragged across the car park.
Downer, of Cowbridge Lane, Essex, was charged with wounding with intent, common assault and possession of an offensive weapon.
He denied the charges but was found guilty following a trial at Peterborough Crown Court on Wednesday (April 2) and jailed for a total of 47 months. The sentence includes two months of a previous suspended sentence.
PC George Neal said: “This was a nasty attack involving the use of a weapon. It is lucky the victim or his girlfriend did not suffer more serious injuries.
- 1 Discount store expanding making it ‘bigger and better for customers’
- 2 Salesman Stephen who 'has a smile every day' marks 45 years at firm
- 3 Arson causes fire to rip through derelict building
- 4 Police officer speaks out after violent assault left bleed on brain
- 5 'Why not have two stations?' - Villagers air their views on £37m rail project
- 6 Farmer ‘feeling low’ due to increasingly difficult working conditions
- 7 Jury to go out in trial of driver accused of causing toddler's death
- 8 Chatteris Fire brigade respond to nearly 20 calls in two days
- 9 Man and teenager jailed after carrying out ‘horrific’ homophobic attack
- 10 Heather's Hedgehog Hotel in Chatteris officially opens
“Such behaviour will not be tolerated in our communities and this should send a strong message to anyone who thinks it is acceptable.”