Jail for the man who attacked love rival with a hammer before turning on his pregnant girlfriend
- Credit: Archant
A man who attacked a love rival with a hammer before turning on his pregnant girlfriend has been jailed.
Craig Downer, 23, lashed out at the 20-year-old victim following an argument in a car park off Huntly Road, Woodston, Peterborough, on April 21, last year.
The victim suffered injuries to his head and legs in the attack.
The victim’s heavily pregnant girlfriend was also taken to hospital due to stomach pains after the incident, in which she claimed to have been dragged across the car park.
Downer, of Cowbridge Lane, Essex, was charged with wounding with intent, common assault and possession of an offensive weapon.
You may also want to watch:
He denied the charges but was found guilty following a trial at Peterborough Crown Court on Wednesday (April 2) and jailed for a total of 47 months. The sentence includes two months of a previous suspended sentence.
PC George Neal said: “This was a nasty attack involving the use of a weapon. It is lucky the victim or his girlfriend did not suffer more serious injuries.
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 3 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 4 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 5 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 6 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 7 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 8 Janice launches Slimming World group after losing over two stone
- 9 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 10 County passes funding of new £25m Wisbech school back to the Government
“Such behaviour will not be tolerated in our communities and this should send a strong message to anyone who thinks it is acceptable.”