Jan becomes mayor for the second time
FOURTEEN years after she last served as mayor, Councillor Jan French is once again mayor of March. She took over on Monday during the annual meeting of the Town Council attended by 50 friends, colleagues, councillors and guests from neighbouring towns. Cl
FOURTEEN years after she last served as mayor, Councillor Jan French is once again mayor of March.
She took over on Monday during the annual meeting of the Town Council attended by 50 friends, colleagues, councillors and guests from neighbouring towns.
Cllr French paid tribute to her family for supporting for when she was mayor last time, and thanked them again for their promised support during the coming year.
Among the town councillors to welcome her as she took office was her daughter Kim, elected in 2003 as March's youngest town councillor.
You may also want to watch:
Cllr French entertained guests afterwards to a light buffet, and promised a hectic year of charity fund-raising, as well as a commitment to ensuring the smooth running of the council.
Among events already lined up are a charity 'bangers and bingo' night, a charity casino night, and, what she promised will be an unusual entry to this year's carnival parade.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 3 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 4 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 5 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 6 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 7 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 8 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 9 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 10 Road blocked due to crash involving a tractor on A14 near Godmanchester
Her deputy for the year will be Councillor Sylvia Keane.
Outgoing mayor, Councillor Debby Bunn, was unable to attend Monday's ceremony because of a family illness.