Jazz club swings out to a successful start at Littleport
- Credit: Archant
A new club for singers and lovers of jazz and American songbook music has been launched at Littleport.
Kathryn Buck, who started the Wednesday Night Club, is a professional singer who borrowed the idea from the Essex-based Monday Club which she attended on a few occasions with friend, Littleport resident and jazz singer, Arthur Lockett.
“It is Arthur who is the true inspiration behind this new venture,” she said.
“On the night, we heard wonderful renditions of songs including ‘Sway’, ‘Have you met Miss Jones?’ and ‘The Boy from Ipanema’ - to name but a few. “People came from across the county and were totally enthused about the night. The atmosphere was relaxed and supportive.
“Some of the singers hadn’t sung with a live jazz band before - and some hadn’t sung at all for years.
You may also want to watch:
“A good number came to sit back and listen to some very good music.”
The Swan on the River was a perfect venue, she said, and was filled with music from a live jazz trio, fronted by pianist, Ivan Garford.
- 1 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 2 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 3 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 4 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 5 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 6 Piled wall will resolve major King's Dyke crossing obstacle
- 7 Photographer, Eleanor, wins highly regarded award
- 8 Tonight's 24 Hours in Police Custody follows brutal Cambridgeshire murder
- 9 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 10 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
Singers of any age and experience had the opportunity to perform their favourite songs.
The next two Wednesday Night Club events are March 16 and April 13 from 7.30-10.30pm.
Entrance fee £5 on the door.
Anybody is welcome to turn up on the night. To find out more e-mail Kathryn on Kathryn_Buck@hotmail.com or visit The Wednesday Night Club at The Swan, Littleport on Facebook.