Job guarantee proposed by Labour is good news for young graduates
As an uncle, I worry about the future for my nephew and nieces. Not all young people have the motivation or aptitude to attend university.
However, having a degree is no guarantee of a graduate-type job. Many graduates are making coffee for Costa or Starbucks or are stocking shelves at Tesco.
Too many young people are still unemployed. The Tories have failed to get a grip of this problem and their schemes to get young people back to work – including the Work Programme and Youth Contract – are failing badly.
I’m therefore glad to learn that an Ed Miliband-led Labour Government will guarantee a real, paid, starter job to every 18-24 year old who has been claiming Jobseeker’s Allowance for more than a year.
This would be paid for with a tax on bank bonuses and by restricting pension tax relief for the wealthiest.
You may also want to watch:
Member, Unite the Union
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 3 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 4 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 6 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 7 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 8 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 9 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 10 Board says Covid-19 figures are ‘stable’ at City hospital