Chatteris man, 78, claimed he didn’t realise it was illegal to own cannabis plants after being caught with eight in his van
- Credit: Archant
A 78-year-old man from Chatteris claimed he didn’t realise it was illegal to own cannabis plants after he was caught with eight in the back of his van.
Officers were travelling along the A47 towards Wisbech at just before midnight on June 27 2018 when they passed John Loveridge heading in the other direction.
They had been alerted to the fact his driving licence had expired and he had no insurance by ANPR technology.
Loveridge, of Fenland Way, Chatteris, pleaded guilty to possession of cannabis with intent to supply and the driving offences and was given a 12-month conditional discharge at Cambridge Crown Court on Wednesday (June 19).
Sergeant Hayley Carter, who investigated, said: "Loveridge claimed he didn't realise cannabis was a controlled substance in its plant form.
You may also want to watch:
"We take drugs offences very seriously and will take action wherever we find them."
- 1 AN APOLOGY: The Gables in Chatteris
- 2 Quiz-loving duo win BBC game show hosted by Bradley Walsh and Holly Willoughby
- 3 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in East Cambs and Fenland
- 4 Alternative banking available as local branch closes
- 5 Eagle-eyed plane spotter saves pilot's life
- 6 Historic hotel opens doors after lockdown transformation
- 7 Pink Cadillacs, sports cars and a VW Beetle: Students arrive in style for their leavers' prom
- 8 9 never to be forgotten moments from Cambridgeshire politicians
- 9 Mother sends warning over 'disgraceful' care of six-year-old daughter
- 10 Aquapark boss hits back at threat of enforcement