Jordan Gill returns to Chatteris school to give pupils Olympic inspiration
BOXER Jordan Gill made an emotional return to Cromwell Community College to inspire pupils with sporting confidence on their Olympic Day.
The 18-year-old returned the school where he used to be Head Boy just weeks after his first professional bout to lead a workshop and taster session with youngsters interested in the sport.
The Chatteris school decided to alter its traditional sports day for 2012 to get students participating in an Olympic pentathlon.
After competing with javelin, shotput, 100m, 800m and high-jump events, the best were awarded gold, silver and bronze medals.
However there were also prizes of tickets to the Olympic football for those who best demonstrated the Olympic values of determination, friendship and respect.
You may also want to watch:
Lee-Ann Oldfield, head of Cromwell Community College’s performance faculty, said: “We wanted to inject the spirit of the Olympics into the pupils and the idea of them working as a team.
“Even if they do not think they are very good at certain activities, working as a team can bring success.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 4 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 5 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 6 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 7 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 8 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 9 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 10 Parents 'can never forgive' actions for Maddie's murder
“I really want them to get that spirit and encourage them to want to watch the Olympics.”
The school’s Year Seven pupils were due to take part in the event last Monday (July 16) but it was rained off.
However the weather held out for the Year Eight and Nine contests over the following two days.