Jordan Gill returns to Chatteris school to give pupils Olympic inspiration
BOXER Jordan Gill made an emotional return to Cromwell Community College to inspire pupils with sporting confidence on their Olympic Day.
The 18-year-old returned the school where he used to be Head Boy just weeks after his first professional bout to lead a workshop and taster session with youngsters interested in the sport.
The Chatteris school decided to alter its traditional sports day for 2012 to get students participating in an Olympic pentathlon.
After competing with javelin, shotput, 100m, 800m and high-jump events, the best were awarded gold, silver and bronze medals.
However there were also prizes of tickets to the Olympic football for those who best demonstrated the Olympic values of determination, friendship and respect.
Lee-Ann Oldfield, head of Cromwell Community College’s performance faculty, said: “We wanted to inject the spirit of the Olympics into the pupils and the idea of them working as a team.
“Even if they do not think they are very good at certain activities, working as a team can bring success.
- 1 Police 'increasingly concerned' for man missing since early hours yesterday
- 2 Three rail and bus strikes in London and the East this week
- 3 Man, 28, dies after truck and lorries crash on A47
- 4 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 5 Unauthorised encampments across Cambs a 'tricky issue' says Police and Crime Commissioner
- 6 Andre Rieu brings new summer concert to Cambridgeshire cinemas
- 7 Two combine harvesters catch fire in under 12 hours
- 8 £150,000 splashpad to open in Wisbech
- 9 Discount store expanding making it ‘bigger and better for customers’
- 10 NHS staff praised for ‘virtually eliminating’ long waiting times
“I really want them to get that spirit and encourage them to want to watch the Olympics.”
The school’s Year Seven pupils were due to take part in the event last Monday (July 16) but it was rained off.
However the weather held out for the Year Eight and Nine contests over the following two days.