Joyce gets special visit from family in the USA, and flowers from the mayor, to mark 100th birthday
- Credit: Archant
A woman from Whittlesey received a bouquet of flowers from the mayor to mark a very special occasion ... her 100th birthday,
Elms Residential and Nursing Home resident Joyce Slater received the gift from The Mayor of Whittlesey, councillor Alex Miscandlon on behalf of Whittlesey Town Council.
She was later joined by her family which included grandchildren and great grandchildren.
Her daughter Sue and her husband travelled the furthest to see her - they flew in from the USA.
At Joyce’s party, singer Jeremy Hilliard sung Vera Lynn and Perry Como classics, while the kitchen staff dished up a tasty buffet.
Joyce was born in Whittlesey and went to an all girls school in the town. Her first job was as a nurse in a hospital and she also ran a newsagents.
Activities coordinator Michelle Burley said: “Joyce loves going out for lunch and likes music. She was a dancer when she was younger. She also likes a game of bingo.”
- 1 Inquest concludes 'quiet and happy' teenager took own life
- 2 Fatal crash blocks A1M in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Man taken to hospital after 'welfare' concerns
- 4 Dashcam appeal after three die in three-vehicle A1 crash
- 5 Real living wage given to frontline care home workers
- 6 Teenage motorcyclist dies after BMW crash
- 7 Motorists face extra time on journeys due to A141 closure
- 8 Take a look inside this £600,000 converted barn hidden in the Fens
- 9 Academy shake-up as one principal goes and another arrives
- 10 Prince Charming mannequin seen in car on motorway is mistaken for a body