Joyce gets special visit from family in the USA, and flowers from the mayor, to mark 100th birthday
- Credit: Archant
A woman from Whittlesey received a bouquet of flowers from the mayor to mark a very special occasion ... her 100th birthday,
Elms Residential and Nursing Home resident Joyce Slater received the gift from The Mayor of Whittlesey, councillor Alex Miscandlon on behalf of Whittlesey Town Council.
She was later joined by her family which included grandchildren and great grandchildren.
Her daughter Sue and her husband travelled the furthest to see her - they flew in from the USA.
At Joyce’s party, singer Jeremy Hilliard sung Vera Lynn and Perry Como classics, while the kitchen staff dished up a tasty buffet.
You may also want to watch:
Joyce was born in Whittlesey and went to an all girls school in the town. Her first job was as a nurse in a hospital and she also ran a newsagents.
Activities coordinator Michelle Burley said: “Joyce loves going out for lunch and likes music. She was a dancer when she was younger. She also likes a game of bingo.”
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 4 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 5 Man jailed for historic sexual abuse 'convinced child victims it was normal behaviour'
- 6 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 7 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 8 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 9 8 of the best shows coming to Cambridgeshire in November
- 10 Board says Covid-19 figures are ‘stable’ at City hospital