Joyce retires from Sainsbury’s after nearly half a century
- Credit: Archant
There’s no doubting the commitment of one member of staff at the March branch of Sainsbury’s - she is retiring after 46 years working for the same supermarket.
Joyce Marsh started work at the Finchley branch of Sainsbury’s in June 1969 as a trainee butcher on the night shift.
She then moved to Bedford with her husband and worked as a cashier and checkout manager.
Her next role was in Bedford but at their new flagship store where she worked as the restaurant manager.
From there she moved on to become a confectioner.
You may also want to watch:
In 2008 she and her husband moved to March where she joined Saisnbury’s once again and where she has worked ever since as a self scan operator.
She said: “I will miss the girls so much when I go. This is a lovely friendly store to work at. Small stores really have the edge on friendliness. I’ve had a great career.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 3 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 4 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 5 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 6 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 7 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 8 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 9 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 10 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
“I’ve never woken up and not wanted to go to work, I’ve always enjoyed what I’ve done with my job. I feel very lucky.”
Longevity obviously runs in the family, she added, as all three of her brothers have also been long serving employees in their line of work - one as an engineer, one at the Post Office and the other a plumber.
“We are a family of stayers!” she said.
Mrs Marsh plans to spend her retirement volunteering for local charity groups.
“I’m not going to sit about and be idle,” she commented.