JUSTICE FOR JAMIE: ‘The day our world was destroyed’ - family speak out on campaign website

THE family of Wisbech crash victim Jamie Butcher has relived the day their “world was destroyed” on a website launched as part of the campaign for justice.

Mother Tina, sister Hollie and stepfather Steve Green say their lives were torn apart when 22-year-old Jamie was mown down and killed on a pedestrian crossing in Churchill Road, Wisbech, in February last year.

Driver Michael Moore, of Murrow Lane, Parson Drove, was doing almost twice the speed limit and had run a red light. He hit Jamie with such force that his body was found 44 metres from the crossing.

Moore was jailed for just 43 months in April.

Since that sentence, the Butcher family have been joined by The Wisbech Standard and MP Steve Barclay to call for tougher punishments in death by dangerous driving cases.

You may also want to watch:

Mr Barclay has vowed to raise the issue in the House of Commons, an e-petition is set to launch next week and campaign website www.justiceforjamie.co.uk is now up and running.

On the website, Jamie’s family describe how they became worried when he failed to return from a trip into the town centre to withdraw some money.

Most Read

Mr Green went looking for him but moments later a police car pulled up outside their home.

“It was at this moment that our hearts sank,” the family recall.

“Steve pleaded with the policeman ‘tell me how bad it is’ and the policeman said ‘go inside and we will come and talk to you’.

“It was in the kitchen of the family home that the police asked ‘did Jamie have a tattoo on his chest?’

“With Jamie’s identity confirmed it was their duty to tell the loving parents that there had been a collision and there had been a fatality.”

Tina had to phone her daughter Hollie, who was at her boyfriend’s house, to tell her that her brother was dead.

“The only sound that came back from the phone was a scream.

“The news had been delivered, the loving family destroyed because of the selfish reckless actions of one man.”

In the days that followed, Mr Green had to identify Jamie’s body and the family began to plan his funeral.

“We couldn’t believe it,” they recall. “None of us ate for days.

“Somebody called out a doctor to us. He prescribed some pills but nothing could change the fact Jamie was gone.

“Family and friends tried to comfort us but it was, and still is, a pain that just can’t be cured.”

There were also practical issues to deal with.

“Before the funeral, phone calls had to be made.

“A phone call to Manchester University. ‘Jamie’s dead’. A phone call to his employer. ‘Jamie’s dead’. A phone call to his bank. ‘Jamie’s dead’. A call to end his phone contract. ‘Jamie’s dead’.

“But still we couldn’t believe. Jamie’s dead.”

A week later, after a packed crematorium had said their final goodbyes to Jamie, the family received a phone call from an officer to update them on the police investigation.

Mr Green said: “He told us in words I will never forget - ‘I can tell you now, Jamie did nothing wrong.’”

? SUPPORT the campaign by liking the Justice for Jamie Facebook page, following @justiceforjamie on Twitter or visiting www.justiceforjamie.co.uk

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter