Kart of gold: Charity challenge to take place in memory of Liam Fairhurst
A CHARITY karting challenge is set to take place in memory of Liam Fairhurst on the weekend when he would have celebrated his 18th birthday.
Keen karter Liam, from Soham, lost his four-year battle with soft tissue cancer in 2009, aged 14.
Despite undergoing intensive treatment, Liam raised �340,000 for children’s cancer charities and the Liam Fairhurst Foundation was set up to continue his legacy.
The Red Lodge Karting Challenge, which started in 2010, has so far raised �40,000 for CLIC Sargent, the cancer charity that provided support to Liam and his family.
The village will host its latest challenge on February 23, when teams will compete for the “Liam’s Smile Trophy”.
You may also want to watch:
Sarah Darkins, who owns Red Lodge Karting with Nigel Carter, said: “We want to make this an extra special year.
“Challenge 18 will take place on the weekend that Liam would have celebrated his 18th birthday.
- 1 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 4 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 5 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 6 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 7 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 8 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 9 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 10 NFU president visits Wimblington on East Anglia tour
“With Red Lodge also celebrating our 18th year of trading, we hope lots of teams will enter to help make Challenge 18 the best one yet.”
Alison Ramsay, fund-raising manager at CLIC Sargent, said: “This is a fantastic opportunity to have some fun, team build with colleagues and raise invaluable funds as a fitting tribute to Liam who himself was a passionate fund-raiser for CLIC Sargent.”
Karting teams, which must consist of between two and six drivers, can now enter.
Entry is �180 per team, with each driver asked to raise sponsorship for CLIC Sargent. Teams will have two hours of track time.
For more information please contact Sarah at Red Lodge on 01638 552316 or e-mail: email@example.com