Keeping it in the family - is this a political first for the country? Mother and daughter are mayor and deputy in March
- Credit: Archant
A mother and daughter political team are gearing up for what is thought to be the first time in the country where the daughter is mayor and her mum acts as her deputy.
Councillor Kim French, 35, has been voted in as mayor of March with her mum, councillor Jan French, 65, voted in to serve as her deputy for the 2017 to 2018 term.
Both roles were unanimous votes in favour. The official inauguration will take place in May.
Kim, an accounts manager for Abax in Peterborough, said: “You don’t live with your mum in politics for 25 years without having it rub off on you. I just soaked it up without even realising.
“I’m now going into my third term as a local councillor. I’m not worried about being mayor as I have a very experienced deputy behind me who will be the best advisor I could wish for.
You may also want to watch:
“I know mum will be supportive, I’m looking forward to it.”
Kim wants to choose charities to support who are often over looked and said she is already planning a sky dive for the Autumn.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 5 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 6 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 7 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 8 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 9 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 10 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
Jan said: “I’m surprised but really pleased Kim wanted me to be her deputy.
“We have a good relationship so I think it will work well.
“This is certainly a first for the Fens which is great.”
Jan has been a mayor four times, the first time in 1992 and has been a deputy twice - the first time in 1991.
A Google search reveals that mother and daughter teams have served in other areas of the country but with the mother as mayor and daughter as her mayoress.
In Westhoughton in Bolton in 2016 Anne Graham took to the mayor role with her daughter Shauneen Risdale taking on the role as mayoress.
In Scarborough in 2012 Helen Mallory chose her daughter Lucy as her mayoress.