Labour’s new East of England MEP Alex Mayer’s first speech looks to the future of robotics
- Credit: Archant
East of England Labour MEP Alex Mayer made her maiden speech in the European Parliament on Thursday during a debate on the futuristic subject of robots.
Ms Mayer told how she had recently met a robot on a visit to Cranfield University along with cyber experts.
She said, “During my visit we discussed rapid changes in the workplace with more automation, safety issues as people work more closely with robots and the ethics of self-learning robots.
“I’ve seen at first hand the speed this sector is moving and as technology moves quickly, it is important that legislation keeps up.”
After the vote which passed through the parliament by 396 votes to 123 with 85 absentions, Ms Mayer said: “We only get to speak for one minute at a time in the European Parliament so perhaps it was more of a maiden remark!
You may also want to watch:
“This is a topic that matters to me because I believe politicians need to focus on making the future better and this is an issue where science fiction is rapidly becoming science fact. Of course I also wanted to be sure to highlight an example of great work happening in our area.”
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 5 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 6 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 7 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 8 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 9 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 10 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told