Lack of interest threat to gym club
CHATTERIS could lose its gym club if more children don t attend, says instructor Darrell Rodgers who is subsidising classes out of his own pocket to avoid closure. There used to be two highly-popular gym sessions held at Chatteris Cromwell College on Thu
CHATTERIS could lose its gym club if more children don't attend, says instructor Darrell Rodgers who is subsidising classes out of his own pocket to avoid closure.
There used to be two highly-popular gym sessions held at Chatteris' Cromwell College on Thursdays, but this has slumped to one class of 10.
Mr Rodgers said: "Keeping the one-hour class running is costing me £10 to £15 a week.
"I am not doing this to make money, far from it, but I can't continue, so if things haven't improved by the end of February then it will have to close."
You may also want to watch:
Mr Rodgers, who has run gymnastics' sessions in Chatteris for six years, said: "We are no longer administered by community education so do not benefit from its advertising and I pay £20 an hour hire charge and £2.60 insurance each week to the county council. "For a one hour class I charge £3."
His students also want to keep the classes open and have been putting up hand-drawn advertisement posters all over town.
- 1 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 4 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 5 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 6 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 7 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 8 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 9 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
- 10 NFU president visits Wimblington on East Anglia tour
The club began its spring term in January. Classes run from 5pm to 6pm each Thursday for children from five upwards.
CONTACT: Darrell Rodgers n 01353 777179