Landfill dismissed in favour of recycling
A CHANGE of emphasis by Cambridgeshire County Council has seen plans for two landfill sites proposed for Fenland – at Block Fen near Chatteris and at Whittlesey – thrown out. The council has now recommended that no new landfill sites are opened up in Camb
A CHANGE of emphasis by Cambridgeshire County Council has seen plans for two landfill sites proposed for Fenland - at Block Fen near Chatteris and at Whittlesey - thrown out.
The council has now recommended that no new landfill sites are opened up in Cambridgeshire and that more emphasis should be put on recycling. Instead of landfill councillors are recommending emphasis should be put on a network of modern recycling facilities to help deal with the 80 million tonnes of waste predicted to be produced over the next 15 years.
A six-week public consultation period will now be held in November when people can have their say on the preferred options.
The proposals include the creation of new household waste recycling centres near new developments and built, where possible, on already used land.
You may also want to watch:
The draft recommendations follows a major public consultation involving representations from 2,600 people.
- 1 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 2 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 3 Work to improve A47 between March and Peterborough begins
- 4 Butcher Ron to hang up his hat after 64 years
- 5 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 6 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 7 Paramedics warn of 'tents in car parks' amid mental health crisis
- 8 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 9 Granddaughter launches bid to help others thanks to football legend
- 10 Parents 'can never forgive' actions for Maddie's murder