Landlord pledges to put right damp problems in Whittlesey family’s home
- Credit: Archant
A Whittlesey woman has said the mould and damp she is being forced to live with is making her feel ill and leaving her son struggling for breath.
When Lisa Morris first moved into her house on Newlands Road she was told that the poor living conditions would be rectified the following week.
Almost exactly a year later, Lisa, who pays £625 per month in rent, says her landlord Mr Harjeet Singh Gill, who runs Swift Cabs taxi service, has done nothing.
But Mr Singh Gill has promised to put the problem right next week and said it has only been an issue for a few months.
And he stated that when Ms Morris was pregnant with her third child she had stayed with her mother, leaving the house, including the windows, shut up, which did not help the situation as the property was not ventilated.
You may also want to watch:
Ms Morris said: “It’s absolutely horrendous and so stressful.”
She said because of the damp and mould she’s had no choice but to throw away a number of her children’s books, DVD’s and soft toys, as well as curtains, photo frames and even a sofa.
- 1 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 2 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 3 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 4 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in radical ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 5 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 6 Woman 'cannot afford to lose' over £3,000 through builder
- 7 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 8 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 9 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody
- 10 Tributes to retired CEO who 'worked tirelessly' for town
“It’s just disgusting,” she added. “There’s damp seeping down the walls and it’s just getting worse. I just feel like he doesn’t care.”
As a single parent to three young children; Casey, four, Malaki, two and nine-week-old Paris, Lisa says she contacted the council three months ago but has heard nothing back.
She’s also had her house assessed by a health visitor who said two new vents are needed.
However they cost £390 each, and Ms Morris cannot afford to pay for them to be fitted.
Ms Morris’ eldest son struggles with asthma and was hospitalised numerous times last year because he was struggling for breath.
“Casey was born premature and struggles with breathing so has to use inhalers.
“I feel so bad because the house is so damp that I have to put wet clothes on him and my other children.
“When you walk in my bedroom the smell of mould is so bad you can tell it’s not been dried properly”, she added.
When approached for a comment, Mr Singh guaranteed that he will install a better vent and a double cooker in the kitchen next week.
Ms Morris’ mother Emma Bielawski described the situation in which her daughter and grandchildren are living as “absolutely horrendous.
“We don’t know what else to do. The only thing he has fixed is the smoke detector.”
She added that Casey has to stay at her house on occasions because the damp conditions are so bad for him.
“All my daughter wants to do is make it a nice, safe home for her children.”.