Less than magnificent seven fined and ordered to pay costs and compensation for using Cambridgeshire waterways illegally
- Credit: Archant
SEVEN boaters – from Huntingdon, Stevenage, Wisbech, and Luton- were yesterday fined at Peterborough Magistrates’ Court for keeping or using a vessel on Cambridgeshire waterways without being registered with the Environment Agency.
All were spotted by Agency river inspectors on rivers in Cambridgeshire in the last three months of 2012.
Fines ranged between £100 and £200 after the court heard that navigation fees ranging between £308 and £865 had been avoided by the boats not being registered.
All defendants were also ordered to pay £115 costs and a victim surcharge of £20.
The boats of Ralph Evans of Jenkins Close, Stevenage, Hertfordshire; Michael Flemming of Church Way, Alconbury Weston, Huntingdon; Mark Jones of Castle Hill Court, Huntingdon; Allan Gough of Church Street, Buckden, St Neots, and Luciano Lombardo of Dunstable Road, Luton, Bedfordshire were all spotted on 8 November on the River Great Ouse at Buckden.
You may also want to watch:
A boat belonging belonging to Joseph Punt of Lister Road, New England, Peterborough was seen on 4 September on the River Nene and a boat belonging to Andrew Russell of Octagon Drive, Wisbech, was seen on the River Great Ouse on 17 September.
The Environment Agency wrote to all the defendants enclosing the offence tickets and giving 14 days in which to register the vessels.
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 3 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 4 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 5 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 6 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 7 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 8 WATCH: Flying Scotsman steams through Cambridgeshire Fens
- 9 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 10 County passes funding of new £25m Wisbech school back to the Government
Offences were contrary to article 4(1) and 18(1) (a) of The Environment Agency (Inland Waterways) Order 2010.
Fines and compensation:
Ralph Evans – pleaded guilty by post - fined £100, compensation £865.
Michael Flemming – proved in absence - fined £200, compensation £308.
Mark Jones – proved in absence – fined £200, compensation £788.
Allan Gough – proved in absence – fined £100. (Vessel registered after being seen – so no compensation).
Luciano Lombardo – proved in absence – fined £200, compensation £399.
Joseph Punt – proved in absence – fined £200, compensation £308.
Andrew Russell – proved in absence – fined £200, compensation £308.