Let the games begin
YOUNGSTERS joined in a range of sporting activities to celebrate the opening of a £50,000 games area at Manor Leisure Centre, Whittlesey. North-East Cambridgeshire MP Malcolm Moss cut the ribbon to launch the new site, which will be used for training and
YOUNGSTERS joined in a range of sporting activities to celebrate the opening of a £50,000 games area at Manor Leisure Centre, Whittlesey.
North-East Cambridgeshire MP Malcolm Moss cut the ribbon to launch the new site, which will be used for training and coaching in a variety of sports including tennis, hockey, basketball and football.
The Leisure Centre received £50,000 from Barclays Spaces for Sports, a new three-year community sponsorship programme to create and improve sports facilities in communities across the UK. The programme is a partnership between Barclays, Groundwork and the Football Foundation.
Local residents have worked with environmental charity Groundwork to create the new site. It is hoped the project will encourage people to take up sport and improve their health, bring people together and strengthen community spirit.
You may also want to watch:
Phil Hughes, of Fenland District Council, said: "Our experience shows that people really value the opportunity to have a say in improving their neighbourhoods and make them better places to live, work and play. Getting involved in these projects gives people confidence and makes us all feel proud of where we live."
Emma Rodulson-Ellis, local business manager at Whittlesey's Barclays branch, said: "At Barclays we are committed to supporting local communities and it's great to see such a fantastic facility for the community.
- 1 BMW driver 'intentionally rammed' Ford car on A142 before fleeing scene
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Football club ‘disappointed’ after vandals damage toilet facilities
- 4 Man charged over death threats to deputy Labour leader Angela Rayner
- 5 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 6 Lucky Cambridgeshire neighbours win People's Postcode Lottery
- 7 Drug dealer racially abused police officer
- 8 Person cut out of car after two-vehicle crash
- 9 Ramsey woman to appear in court to face drug dealing charges
- 10 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car