Let them eat cake: Wisbech and District Motorcycle Club welcome national ralliers and offer home made cakes
HUNDREDS of motorcyclists are due to visit Wisbech as they check into Gildo’s Motorcycle Centre during this year’s national road rally - and enjoy a slice of home made cake.
Gildo’s in Weasenham Lane - run by brothers Adam and Guy Gilding - will welcome the motorcyclists over an 18-hour period, and the premises will be staffed by members of the Wisbech and District Motorcycle Club.
Club members were on hand to see the personalised control point sign handed over to Gildo’s, including 78-year-old Jim Pearce, a former chairman of the Club, and still a keen rider of his trusty bike.
Peter Quince, secretary of the club, said: “We are thrilled to be one of around 50 controls all around the country, motorcyclists taking part will cover between 200 and 540 miles. They organise their own route, trying to cover as many check points as possible. We would expect to have riders from around 200 miles away, from the north, or the south coast.
“We have a great reputation as a check point, the home made cake made by Tricia Cole is very popular, and we would expect to see around 200 visitors between 2pm on Saturday June 30, to 10am the next morning.
You may also want to watch:
The rally- the biggest road based motorcycle event in the UK - is organised by the Auto Cycle Union and the British Motorcyclists Federation, and raises sponsorship for Mencap.
Peter added: “Our members will staff the check point all through the night. We are very grateful to Gildo’s for allowing us to use their premises. We consider this to be an event for proper motorcyclists, although the average age of competitors is 52, we would really like to encourage younger motorcyclists to get involved.”
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 3 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 7 Janice launches Slimming World group after losing over two stone
- 8 County passes funding of new £25m Wisbech school back to the Government
- 9 'Great improvement' - village pond gets a makeover
- 10 Parents 'can never forgive' actions for Maddie's murder
Entries for the rally are now open. Full details from the rally website www.nationalroadrally.co.uk, or contact Peter on 07866 931324.