LETTER: Chairman of Chatteris in Bloom issues hanging baskets apology
- Credit: Archant
As chairman of Chatteris in Bloom and on behalf of the committee, I would like to apologise to the Chatteris community for the state of the hanging baskets.
We always knew this year would be a struggle which is why we sent out an appeal for more volunteers in January, but we have come up against more challenges than expected.
Early on, we struggled to have enough people available to carry out watering, but, due to new water-retaining baskets purchased this season, we coped.
Then in mid-August, disaster struck when the milk float was put out of action. One month later and it is still unusable- despite brilliant efforts by the Christmas Lights Committee and Robert Smith to whom we are immensely grateful.
A plan B watering system proved problematic and largely ineffective, which has left us struggling to maintain our floral displays.
You may also want to watch:
This is just one of many challenges we have faced as a group, but it has been the one with the greatest negative impact on our work.
To those businesses and individuals who sponsored baskets we are especially sorry.
- 1 Man found dead in March
- 2 Driver leaves girl 'very shaken' after ploughing into car
- 3 Brother pays tribute to 'strongest character I've ever known'
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 6 7 of the best pumpkin picking locations in Cambridgeshire
- 7 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 8 Janice launches Slimming World group after losing over two stone
- 9 'Great improvement' - village pond gets a makeover
- 10 County passes funding of new £25m Wisbech school back to the Government
We can only hope that we can find solutions to these problems for the future, but, for now, we are aiming to get the baskets removed as soon as we are able.
Thank you to everyone who has helped and supported our campaign this year and once again, our apologies for being unable to meet our primary objective of making Chatteris bloom.
Chairman, Chatteris in Bloom