LETTER: Isn’t it ironic that councillors in charge of public finances appear not to be able to manage their own household bills
I write In response to your article last week concerning the unceremonious unveiling of the hypocrisies of two local politicians in not paying their council tax on time three years running, and consequently wasting extremely expensive officer time to deal with their tardiness through ‘procedures’.
Surely they, together with all 40 Fenland District Councillors, get paid over £4,000 a year each just to attend meetings, and surely David Oliver gets paid at least another £6,000 per annum as a member of cabinet, and portfolio holder.
Talk about in one hand and out the other. Why pay them money on the first hand, to then have to chase them through the courts to collect the council’s dues on the other hand.
Take the money at source.
Also isn’t it rather ironic that councillors, who are charged with the responsibility of stewarding our finances across the district cannot even mange their own household affairs.
You may also want to watch:
During my 12 years involved with politics in Peterborough, I spent many years as a councillor, including chairman of resources, which included responsibility for the finances, property and personnel for the city, so I do know a little something about being responsible for public money, and it goes without saying that my confidence in councillors that cannot manage their own domestic finances is fairly low.
Perhaps it is time that Mr Oliver hung up his mantle of power.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Burglars led police to £170,000 cannabis factory
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 5 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 6 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 7 Wisbech to March light rail signalled in ‘levelling up’ bid by Mayor
- 8 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 9 Jaw-dropping stunts and traditional circus elements combine in unmissable show
- 10 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told