LETTER: New Fenland street lights are less efficient claim
- Credit: Archant
How many people know that the new streetlights are less efficient than the old ones they have replaced?
It is ironic that the low pressure sodium vapour lamps (the yellow street lights) that have been scrapped were nearly three times more efficient than the CFLs with which they have been replaced.
Yes, that is right, the old street lights were nearly three times more efficient than the new ones we have now.
Even if the new lights were fitted with LEDs they would still be less than half as efficient as the old yellow lights.
The new street lighting has all been a ‘con’.
Whether the council officers or the councillors were in on it or also conned is not clear but it has been a huge mistake and a terrific waste of tax payers’ money.
The only advantage the new street lamps have over the old (apart from being new) is that they can be switched off remotely, and guess what, that is exactly what Cambridgeshire County Council want to do.
- 1 Glasses smashed and beer poured on pub floor after alcohol refusal
- 2 Roll up, roll up, for the Fenland Council mini ‘sale of the century’
- 3 Police ‘increasingly concerned’ for woman missing since Wednesday
- 4 Teenage moped rider seriously injured in crash
- 5 Zip-shaped mark on Rikki's body came from his anorak – the one used to strangle him, court told
- 6 £14.6m school transformation complete after two-year project
- 7 Man suffers injuries after A142 morning crash
- 8 Motorists face extra time on journeys due to A141 closure
- 9 ‘Loved and valued volunteer’ shares her special bond with charity
- 10 WATCH: Emotional tribute to honour and remember crash victim